Monday, November 19, 2012

Changing The Way I Review Stuff

This is something I really haven't been sure how I wanted to tackle for awhile now. Ever since I was in college, I would rate the movies I saw on a grade scale, and that was my definitive answer. But, lately, my views on movies have been changing, for a number of different reasons. I've been getting a lot more easy-going, and a lot less snobby (if you've known me IRL for awhile, then you've probably been able to tell). I'm going to admit: I was a huge film snob. See, even right there, calling it "film" instead of movies. Honestly, what's the difference? I feel like now when I hear someone say something to the extent of, "Oh, the art house is showing some terrific films" I want to throw up a little bit. I shudder to think that that used to be me not too long ago. I'm not trying to say I don't appreciate a great film when I see one, but why can't a movie like Raging Bull be in the same category as Anchorman? To me, both movies are great for their own very separate reasons. Anchorman I feel I can watch whenever I want and enjoy it immensely. Raging Bull, though, is the kind of movie you have to be in the mood to watch, but when you do, there's a lot of terrific, artistic things going on. That, to me, is the best thing about movies. Movies can be the best form of art and be something to study for years, but it can also be a great way to forget about the problems of the world for a few hours, and have a great time doing it.

So, I'm going to change things up, a lot. While I like how my movie rating pages are very clean, with the grades separating each movie (oh, you haven't seen my list pages? Click here for my 2011 movies, here for 2012, and here for my top ten movies from 2010 and 2011), they're just not practical for the way I'm looking at movies anymore. Easy example: I gave The Avengers an A-/B+ on the old scale, but when I think about the movie and talk about it with people, I constantly regard it as an awesome movie. So, what's the point of trying to break down every movie into its own individual category? It makes it easier to say to someone, "Hey, The Avengers is awesome; The Amazing Spider-Man isn't", instead of, "Well, The Avengers is very much an A-, while Spider-Man is more of a C, C-." Easier; not as snobby, right? Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to go around saying that the new Twilight movie is spectacular, mind you, but I feel like this new system makes me sound less like a film snob, and more like a guy just talking about something he loves to write about.

I'm also going to try and review different things when I can, like games, CD's, and the occasional book or graphic novel. None of these will be as consistent as a movie review, but I hope to have a few up sometime soon. I've also decided I want to go through the huge task of watching and writing a review for each movie I own. This is where the new scale comes very much into play, because, for instance, even though Forgetting Sarah Marshall isn't exactly an Oscar type movie, I think it's great, and I'll point out the reasons why I think so, instead of trying to analyze it. There's times for that to be sure, but there's also times to just have fun and talk about a good movie.

So, here is how my reviews are going to break down from now on. There's going to be five different ratings, each one a pretty obvious statement on what I think about the movie.

Awesome: This is a movie you should see as soon as you can. Definitely worth the full price at movies nowadays. Think Alien, Back to the Future, or Anchorman (that's easily the most random three movies ever put together, but it sort of gives you the idea of what I'm going for).

Pretty Good: While there's nothing really wrong with the movie, there's a few reasons why it's not "awesome". Maybe the ending isn't as great as the rest of it, or it's a little long. Think Sherlock Holmes, 21 Jump Street, or Titanic.

Meh: This is the kind of movie you might enjoy for a little bit, but there won't be much you remember about it awhile after you see it. Borrow it from someone (or hey, your local library!). Think The Amazing Spider-Man, Green Lantern, or The Hangover Part II.

Lame: Not good. Maybe it's a comedy that just isn't funny, or an action movie where the action is boring, this is a movie to avoid at almost all costs. If you feel like you have to see it, catch it on TV. Think J. Edgar, Transformers 3, or Resident Evil.

Awful: Such a waste of time. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and it should really be ashamed of itself. If you really, truly, absolutely have to see it, this is one of the only times I'd promote illegal downloads. Think Batman & Robin, Twilight: Breaking Dawn 1, or The Happening.

Hopefully this makes me feel better about the reviews I write, and the way I present them isn't as snobby as it used to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment