Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Worst Films of 2010


It's that time of year again: time for me to reconsider my love of movies thanks to a few craptastic features. Out of all the films I saw in 2010, this was the group that easily stood out as the worst of the year. Some of these are here because they are comedies that are just downright not funny, some are here because their acting borders on horrifying, others because of their “action” sequences, and others because they tried too hard to be dramatic, or thrilling.

So here they are, the worst of the worst, the crème de la crap, the...okay, sorry, I'll shut up. Here's the list:

“Honorable” Mention: Death at a Funeral – Neil LaBute
Though not necessarily terrible, this American remake is far inferior to the witty British original. I had hopes for this one, with its great cast of comedic actors, but no one is given the chance to shine in the paint-by-numbers script. The film's resolution ending comes too suddenly, with me not believing that any of the characters learned anything from their time together in order to change like they do.

10. The Killer Inside Me – Michael Winterbottom
 
Winterbottom's modern film noir suffers from an awful story and even worse acting. Despite Casey Affleck's fine performance, the other characters try too hard to capture the essence of classics like Double Indemnity or The Third Man, and suffer greatly. The violence is too gratuitous for its own good, and the plot becomes too predictable by the midpoint, which is death for a mystery thriller.


9. Brooklyn's Finest – Antoine Fuqua
Fuqua's follow up to the excellent Training Day and decent Shooter is a complete dud. The film begins with arguably the biggest cliché in crime films, and continues downward from there. The characters are one dimensional, and none of them bring anything new to the crime genre. The final shot is arguably the most laughable of the year.

8. The Wolfman – Joe Johnston
It's hard for me to call this movie an Oscar nominee (and, probably soon, an Oscar winner). This horror film is in the genre for all the wrong reasons, not because it's scenes will make you jump out of your skin, but because watching two CGI werewolves fighting each other will make you cover your eyes and beg for it to stop. Did anyone not see the “twist” coming in its first twenty minutes?

7. The Bounty Hunter – Andy Tennant
Oh Jen, what's wrong with you? You used to be so funny on Friends, so adorable, so...cool. Now, you're starring in terrible movies year after year. I do feel bad for you, and really hope you turn it around soon. As for you Gerard, wtf dude? You're an action star, stick to that. You're pretty good at it, too. So stop taking these stupid romantic comedy roles. Please. I'm only telling you for your own good.

6. Faster – George Tillman Jr.
So, were the writers afraid that Dwayne Johnson couldn't read? Because I think he has about fifteen lines in the entire movie. I thought this was just going to be a kind of fun, kind of dumb action movie. Not terrible, not good. Instead its a slow burn that just never wants to end, and never wants 'The Rock' to talk, just shoot people.

5. MacGruber – Jorma Taccone
When will Saturday Night Live learn that their not that funny sketches make even worse movies? This is pretty much what you'd expect it to be, an hour and a half SNL sketch, when the source material isn't that funny to begin with. The movie tries to make up for it with dirty humor, but they just come off as unfunny and cringe inducing. This is one action “hero” I wanted to die at the end, just so I didn't have to see him again.

4. Repo Men – Miguel Sapochnik
I don't like it when bad action movies think their audience is just as dumb as they are. I really don't like when movies use what could be a good gimmick in a terrible way. And I hate when a movie has gross out violence without a justifiable reason. Repo Men accomplishes all of this, and was the one movie I was tempted to walk out of halfway through.

3. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time – Mike Newell
I had hopes for this. I like the cast, Newell is a decent director, but oh where did it go wrong? Maybe it was the laughable voice over to begin and end the film. Maybe it was the too often seen daddy issues. Maybe it was the fact that Ben Kinglsey makes for the weakest villain of the year. Maybe it's the fact that, at one point, Alfred Molina says, “Did you know that ostriches have suicidal tendencies?” He was being serious, at least I think so.

2. Jonah Hex – Jimmy Hayward
I feel bad for Josh Brolin. He tries so hard to be a badass as the title character. But the script just won't let him. Also, what exactly happened to Megan Fox's torso? There's just nothing there. I'm really worried about her, someone should really give her stomach back. I also loved how John Malkovich didn't bother to learn any sort of an accent at all for the movie. It looks like he basically showed up, put on the costume, read the lines, collected the check, and left. Gotta love good ole' Johnny M.

1. The Last Airbender – M. Night Shyamalan
Well, I'll give Shyamalan one thing, he's consistent....consistently bad! OH! I know, not that funny, but this movie is, unintentionally so. This is the second time in three years that Mr. I've Made One Decent Movie and 800 Shitty Ones has made my pick for the worst film of the year (2008's The Happening was easily the worst of the decade). There's really not much I can say about this. The script is bad, the action scenes are worse, and the hint at the sequel at the end is the icing on the cake. Avoid at all cost. If you've already seen it, I'm sorry.

Well, there you have it, my worst for the year. Don't worry, my top ten, and runners up, are coming this week, so be sure to check back for those. Until then, be sure to avoid these eleven films.

3 comments:

  1. "Alice in Wonderland" is very much missing from this list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the preview for the Last Airbender and that was enough.

    I'm proud to say that I have definitely (at some point or another) passed up opportunities to watch 8/10 of the films on this list. Bounty Hunter was definitely disappointing. Death at a Funeral was much funnier with the English people. Prince of Persia was entertaining but not something I would recommend.

    Will we be seeing a 'Best of' List anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Michelle. I will be releasing my best of 2010 hopefully tomorrow. I have an entire slew of things I am hoping to post this week because of the Oscars this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete